About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, PA, United States
"I'm a renegade, never been afraid to say what's on my mind at any given time of day"

My Loyal Readers

Facebook Badge

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Neo's Top 5 Albums of 2009

I wanted to make a little top 5 list for 5 of the best albums (in my opinion) from 2009, these aren't really in any particular order but the 1st 2 are actually both my favorite albums for 2009 and for varying reasons. I will add one of my favorite tracks from each album with each listing, hope you enjoy it and maybe even take my word and go out and actually buy these albums because they truthfully are well worth it.

Ready - Trey Songz
This album was nothing short of phenomenal...I honestly cannot say enough about this album. Trey not only brought a new image out for the ladies but he really is beginning to solidify himself as an R&B monster musically and when you have an album such as this it makes that possible. I would even venture as far to say that this is a "CLASSIC" yeah I said it, it is a classic, by far one of my favorite R&B albums. Songs like "Invented Sex"..."Yo Side Of The Bed" (which sounds like Purple Rain by Prince but a great rendition of it)..."Does He Do It"...& my personal fav "Love Lost" are just a few of the highlights. It does have one song I could do without and that is "LOL Smiley Face" with Gucci Mane, I understand why he did it but he didnt have too. Also if you get a chance check out the mixtape he dropped called "Anticipation" almost as good as the album, some may even say it was better.


The Blueprint 3 - Jay-Z
Well if you know me you know when it comes to Jay-Z fans you probably wont find many bigger than me which is why this selection meant so much to me. Again I will venture out to use that "CLASSIC" word, some may argue but whatever thats the beauty of music. This album was full of great music, lyrics, and too many highlights to even name, Hov had something for all types of fans on this one. He took it to a pureness with the music, and provided classic gems lyrically that only Hov could pull off such as my favorite line and that I deem as the overall theme and statement with this album "niggas want my old shit, BUY MY OLD ALBUMS", it gets no better than that. Beginning to end this is a great album and in my opinion was tied for #1 with Trey Songz, BP3 stays playing on my iPhone. Highlights include "Thank You"..."On To The Next One"...Empire State Of Mind"..."A Star Is Born"....& "Already Home". Jay did his thing with this album and its effect is monumental considering the way people feel about music nowadays especially his...but the King is still on the throne.


The Warm Up - J. Cole
This is a great album, excuse me...MIXTAPE and the only one that I would even consider putting on this list because of how it was executed, I mean for a mixtape to be this dope is unheard of thus it had to make the list. He is the 1st artist signed to Jay-Z's ROC Nation label and believe me when I tell you this dude is worth every bit of the attention he is beginning to garner out there in the hip hop community. Cole brings that breath of fresh air back into our speakers, minds, and hearts when it pertains to good ol hip hop and this mixtape (even though it is made like an album which further shows his skills) is good music. If you can get your hands on this I suggest you do so and then get back to me because I know you will tell me that this kid is the truth. He gives me that same feel I had back in 1995 when I 1st heard Jay-Z i swear to yall I got goosebumps listening to some of his bars. The music is soulful yet hard...lyrics are raw yet ahead of their time, in short this dude Cole has "IT". Bangers such as "Lights Please" (which was the song Hov heard and signed him after listening)..."Water Break Interlude"..."Dollar & A Dream Part 2"..."Dreams"...& "Welcome" are just a few of the highlights, trust me yall this kid is the NEXT big thing, mark my words and remember Neo told ya.



Slaughterhouse - Joe Budden, Royce Da 5'9, Joell Ortiz, Crooked I
The reason why this and the selection that will follow after this is because the albums were made as groups of individuals all capable of being good standing by themselves but they were either put together or came together to make very solid albums. This album is comprised of 4 outstanding MC's namely my #2 all time favorite MC, Joe Budden and its a great offering musically. Considering most of the true fans of these guys were able to watch them make this album online it was amazing how they were able to do it under the circumstances of distance and other obligations. Lyrically its almost an untouchable album with some of the best verbal lyricism heard in years, production was good as well...there are 1 or 2 that could be skipped or left off and they actually left off a favorite of mine "Wack MC's" (would have been a great addition) but overall it was a good album and worth your time if you are a true fan of hip hop. Album gems include "Microphone"..."Cuckoo"..."The One"..."Sound Off"...& "Cut You Loose". They will be dropping another Slaughterhouse album in the near future, so be prepared...THEY CALL THEM SLAUGHTERHOUSE FOR A REASON!!!


Forever In A Day - Day 26
Just like I said about the Slaughterhouse album this one was a outstanding album considering the dynamics of how it was made. Diddy put these 5 cats together and they made a great 2nd album after a pretty good 1st outing. Another one of those beginning to end albums that was solid throughout, and again we were able to pretty much see the making of this album on MTV and considering all they went through to just make it and the deadline that these young brothers faced they came across with a good effort. I don't know what the future holds for them as a group but this album will forever be in rotation with my R&B albums. Solid singing and effective management of the various voices and talents of each member it made for some great music. Some of the songs on the album that just jump out are "Perfectly Blind"..."So Good"..."Your Heels"..."Then There's You"...Babymaker"...& "Girlfriend" and trust me many of them before you listen you will need some condoms handy cause it may pop off.



***HONORABLE MENTION***
Street Hop - Royce Da 5'9

This was a great album from 2009 so it had to be my honorable mention joint. "Street Hop" was a good look on some real hip hop music and if not for Day 26 having such a solid album this for damn sure would have gotten that 5th spot. Royce dropped a bananas album and I have to give yall what is one of my favorite tracks from that album below. I wasn't a big fan of Royce's until he got down with Joe Budden and I wasn't that big on him throughout some of the Slaughterhouse early work but after listening to this I am a fan of the Detroit vet. Cuts like "Street Hop"..."Part Of Me"..."Murder"..."Far Away"...& "The Warriors (feat. the rest of Slaughterhouse)" are just a few of the great tracks on here.



That's all for now my people's, hope you enjoyed my selections....see yall next year with my 2010 top albums....DUECES

No comments:

Post a Comment