About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, PA, United States
"I'm a renegade, never been afraid to say what's on my mind at any given time of day"

My Loyal Readers

Facebook Badge

Friday, May 21, 2010

Season Finales....WTF HAPPENED???

Remember when Season Finale cliffhangers were just purely suspenseful, so and so ended up pregnant or found out his best friend’s father was actually his dad as well, you know good old fashioned stuff like that. Now it’s been replaced by death and killing off characters and I just need to know when did we as a people become so socially accepting of the exploits of negativity. Sure many of these shows that we watch, especially the ones that I like such as all 3 of the CSI series as well as Criminal Minds and The Mentalist, are all based around homicide and things of that nature but that doesn’t mean that at every season finale someone has to get shot, stabbed, kidnapped and things of that nature. I mean I am an avid watcher of CSI and the Season Finale for the Vegas series had one of the characters shot (he didn’t die) and another one was stabbed in his back at the very end of the episode prior to the credits rolling. Listen I would have been just as satisfied as a fan if it ended with them catching the bad guy and going out as a team to have a drink instead of one of the characters that I like being stabbed in the back by a detained serial killer that should have never been able to get that close to him or anyone else.

These season finales have just become shock value for the viewers, “how much carnage can we fit into one episode?” and I don’t think that it is necessary to be quite honest. And the crazy part is if they would just end some of these season finales on a good note fans would be upset and I can’t for the life of me understand why. You have an 8 episode season and all the other episodes end on a good note but not the “THRILLING SEASON FINALE, SOMEONE WILL GET SHOT AND YOU HAVE TO WAIT TILL THE END TO FIND OUT WHOOOOOOOOOOO” (in my scary commercial voice) I mean it’s just getting ridiculous at this point. I was checking my Facebook feed last night and I saw that everyone was watching “Grey’s Anatomy” now I don’t watch this show, tried once but it bored me almost to the point of suicide but I am not here to knock anyone else’s viewing pleasure it’s merely to make a reference point. I didn’t even have to watch the show to know that there was nothing but sheer mayhem going on, people got pregnant, there was a shooter/sniper, I think Tupac made a special guest appearance, Spiderman swung through as an extra bonus, Jay-Z and Beyonce came to the hospital right after their formal dinner with the Obamas and people were going absolute ape shit over it and that’s good because that’s how you should feel when you watch your favorite series but at the expense of what? Your favorite character dying or being killed off, the advocating of violence in a setting that it would never happen in anyways, I don’t know yall (insert Kanye West shoulder shrug here).

I mean I am personally pissed off for the 2nd time in about the last 4 years with the season finale of CSI (Vegas) because a few years back they killed off my favorite character, Warrick Brown (Gary Dourdan) and then just last night I had to watch my homie Ray Langston (Laurence Fishburne) get stabbed up all in his lower back and left for dead….while I do appreciate the drama and tension created for next season it sucks that it has to be my lasting image of a good character throughout the summer. Then the worst part is the follow up 1st episode of the next season is never adequate enough, generally speaking. So in closing I would just like to every once in awhile watch a show that could have a season finale without all the death, murder, scandal, etc and at least if you want to leave some cliff hangers do it like they do at the end of some of these Hollywood movies, show something subtle to get the mind of the viewer going, give us something to really think about, don’t dumb it down with senseless shit…thank you for listening

3 comments:

  1. I have o cosign this completely. I love a good season finale just like the next person but I hate the crazy cliff hangers where you dont know if the person will live or die.

    And I boycotted CSI for almost an entire season after they killed Warwick. I know he had his demons in real life but he could have just taken a leave of absence while he worked out his issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are speaking that truth because I felt the same way, I loved his character, he and Grissom made the show, it's still decent but no where near as good as it used to be. And I am glad that you agree with my feelings on this because it so crazy how they do these season finales, it's like death is almost a given to keep us interested and like I mentioned I honestly wouldn't be upset if they just caught the bad guy and went out to the park and played a game of kickball or freeze tag...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I thank God for DVR. I save the Season Finale episodes & dont watch them until the new season starts up. I hate having to ponder ALL SUMMER LONG if someone gonna live or die! Lol

    ReplyDelete