About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, PA, United States
"I'm a renegade, never been afraid to say what's on my mind at any given time of day"

My Loyal Readers

Facebook Badge

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Thank Me Later.......Okay I Will

Upon being asked my opinion by numerous friends of mine here is a quick review of what I thought about Drake's "Thank Me Later" debut album. Included is just some stuff I talked with my brother P about on Facebook and these are my thoughts on the album:

P Says: "I never saw your thoughts on that new Drake R&B i mean rap album..LMAO"

My Response: "I had some but then I just kind of forgot about it, wasn't too memorable...it wasn't bad but I haven't went back and listened to it again yet, but I have listened to Recovery about 8 times since last week. Drake sounds like he doesn't have an identity to me, decent musically but there is no true direction....but the album itself I will listen to ... See I am not saying I don't like it, it's just not something I'm gonna be shouting off about unlike Blueprint 3 or something like that. The kid is very talented but to me it sounds like in listening to a cleaner cut version of Lil Wayne with more intelligence and thought in the lyrics but delivery etc is all the same...it's like I'm listening to a singer that's rapping as opposed to a rapper that happens to sing, hope that makes sense"

P Says: "same thoughts i had..didnt live up to the hype at all"

My Response: "Yeah as I stated I'm not disgusted by it, he gave about what I expected, nothing WOW'd me, but it was decent if the hype machine wasn't so large i probably would feel slightly different but i been saying since my days on Twitter how it sounds like Wayne or Wayne sounds like him either way it's a curse to him and his career at least through me. It's... See More just a tough listen I don't really like the last word metaphor style EXAMPLE "it's going down....BASEMENT" I think it's cool sometimes but not for your whole shit and then your whole camp, and some sounds like "So Far Gone" leftovers, i don't know how to properly put it, good 1st attempt though. Some songs he sounds like Wayne, one or two sound like they could be Trey Songz tracks, I can clearly hear the song he wanted Sade for, so *Kanye Shrug*"

THE VERDICT: it was and is a decent album, more hits than misses but that depends on your musical tastes and if I was to recommend it to people it would solely be based on the person that I am dealing with because it won't be for everyone so some people I would say "yeah go cop it" and others I would simply say "download, see for yourself". It's not a bad 1st album out the gate though but again I haven't went back and listened to it a full 2nd time yet, that's not to say that I won't though. I just believe it is too influenced, I hear too much of Lil Wayne in there, tend to hear Trey Songz or the identity of the person who is featured on said songs for example..."Find Your Love" yeah I like the song no fronting on that but it sounds like it should have been on 808's & Heartbreaks and for those NOT in the know Kanye produced that track, "Fireworks" sounds like it should have been on Alicia Keys album aside from the rapping, "Karaoke" sounds Sade inspired and I heard that he wanted her for that track or something like that, and then "Cece's Interlude" sounds Trey Songz inspired. So basically what I am trying to say is I still don't know who Drake is you feel me, I know Wayne is his dude but that's becoming a gift and a curse and anyone that knows me knows I have been saying that for a minute now, and like I said at the end of my comment to my dude "it's like I'm listening to a singer that's rapping as opposed to a rapper that happens to sing"

RATING: 7 out of 10 (rating system below)

ALBUM HIGHLIGHTS:



  • "Up All Night" feat. Nicki Minaj (but minus Minaj she kind of ruined this track for me) 

  • "Fancy" feat. T.I. & Swizz Beatz

  • "Light Up" feat. Jay-Z

  • "Fireworks" feat. Alicia Keys

  • "Thank Me Now"


Now notice how all the songs I highlighted have special guests except one, thus part of my only problem with this cd, as I said I still don't know who Drake is......is he a rapper that can sing or is he a singer that can rap???

NOTE: This is my personal rating system
1-3 = A Fucking Dud or Double Wood
4-6 = Lukewarm Heat or Lukewarm Garbage (depending on the side of 5 it is on)
7-8 = NICE (Loso voice) but was lacking some key elements
  9  = On The Cusp
 10 = CLASSIC

No comments:

Post a Comment